Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My Own Words On This 4TH of July {A Sound Of Cannons Exclusive}


Hi, Pillar of Autumn here. My own observations of 4th of July's past, are a hodgepodge of fireworks and small town parades. Both were predictably rural. The fireworks were launched one at a time until the "big finale" and the parades were often nothing more than old cars with a few flags attached to their hoods. The local high school band would play and tractors full of kids would throw lollipops at the unwary bystanders.

4Th of July at home was never more than my hard-working father firing up the Hibatchi and putting some chicken, burgers and dogs on the grill for a nice family feast. My family would laugh at my grandmothers stern warning that "summer is half over on the 4th Of July!"

We never made exceptionally big deals about this holiday of Independence, but then again, why should we have? America was in good stead and things were going reasonably well. Dad had a good steady job and we never really wanted for anything.

But as I grew older, the Carter years came into vogue and things started getting darker and more worrisome. Then we started a sort of tailspin into periods of recessions and layoffs and inflation. Perhaps I became more aware of things as I got older, which is why my observations turned more negative as I got older. But somehow I think America was just a better place back then. After getting Vietnam off our back, we seemed to have a better sense of what America should be, or maybe that's me.


Now, we have some god-awful trouble and I don't think I've ever been more negative about America's outlook. Maybe back in July 4ths past, we should have been listening to speeches of freedom and the importance to be vigilant about forces that take away freedoms. I mean all freedoms. Economic, political and personal. Every new law should have been scrutinized and debated. Every new tax introduced should have been protested and fought against. Every word a politician uttered taken apart and thrown back at them and challenged. We're past that, of course, and headed towards a reckoning that no one will be happy about.


Have a joyous and safe 4Th of July. Please do not speed or undercook your BBQ meat. Keep good watch of your children and enjoy your libations in moderation. Celebrate friendships and family and shake the hands of the guys your softball team just took apart on the ballfield. Wave at your neighbor and wear some sunblock. Enjoy the fireworks and give a few thoughts towards the guys who lost a lot and fought so hard for freedoms that we're all letting slip away while we sleep............

No comments: