Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Some Wise Words About The Federal Reserve


“I came to Washington in 1974,” Ron Paul told us yesterday, “because I had seen the collapse of Bretton Woods and no one in Congress was making the case for coherent economic policy.”
In an interview for our documentary, we asked him what it was like to be such a lonely voice for reason on Capitol Hill. “I’ve been that lonely voice for over 30 years,” Paul replied. “But I knew what I was getting into. I may not have very many friends here in Washington, but when I go home, I’m surrounded by my family and a great set of friends and supporters.”
“Do you really expect to win the bid for the presidency?” we asked. “Or is it that you hope your candidacy will inject your ideas into the national debate.”
“Of course, I hope to win,” he said. “If you join a race, you had better be in it to win, or you’re just wasting everyone’s time. Your own time, your supporters’. The people you know will vote for you. If in the end we can influence the national debate, so much the better. When I ran for Congress in ’74, it seemed like a long shot, too. But now I’ve been here for three decades. Most other people come here because they love power. I’m here to make sure Congress upholds the Constitution. It’s a rare argument in Washington, but an important one all the same.”
“When I talk to young people around the country, I’m highly encouraged. Young people get it. They don’t expect the government to provide for their health care or their retirement. They don’t expect the government to give them jobs. To young people, the idea of liberty makes sense.”
Here’s Ron Paul explaining why the Federal Reserve is unconstitutional.

No comments: